Madeline

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The World's Most Expensive Band-Aid

The other day, Megan and Melanie were playing in a bush in the back yard. They were climbing up on one of its branches and having fun poking their heads out. It was pretty cute. Then Mel fell. It wasn't a surprise, and she started crying. I convinced her to come out of the bush so I could console her.
I brushed some dirt and leaves off her leg, which had a scrape on it. I then took her to the steps and sat down to hold her and make her feel better. After I sat down, I noticed her shirt was torn. I lifted it up and saw a scrape on her belly and then I noticed A STICK PROTRUDING FROM HER STOMACH.
This was a stick, not a sliver. It was sticking out of her stomach and it was bleeding. I could see that the skin had formed around the stick. I immediately took her to the hospital.
On the way there, Elizabeth called and told me her pediatrician's office was in the hospital and has an insta-care clinic after hours. We thought that may be faster than the emergency room. I parked and rushed in. When I got to the clinic, I lifted her shirt. Right then the doctor said, "You need to take her to the emergency room."
I bolted and was obviously very concerned. I was just praying that everything would work out just fine.
I got downstairs and asked a nurse where the emergency room was. She said I was in it and asked why. I lifted Mel's shirt and said, "I think she's impaled herself." The nurse got on a radio and started calling people in for help. She rushed me into an room and in less than a minute about 15 different staff came in. It was a mad house. I was just happy that I was there and she could get the kind of medical care she needs.
In the midst of this crush of people, the ER doctor came over and grabbed the stick between two fingers. He moved it back and forth a little bit, then he pulled it out. It was barely even in there!
Turns out, it didn't pierce the abdominal wall. It was only in the skin. I was so relieved. Then they put some ointment on it and fixed it with . . . a Band-Aid. Yes, I am that parent that takes his kid to the emergency room to get a bandaid. I was so embarrassed. We stayed for 30 minutes and then left with the instructions to replace the bandaid every day.
Thank goodness she is okay. But man, I don't even want to know how much that bandaid will cost me.

2 comments:

Tania Farr said...

Curtis guessed that the baid aid will cost you between $ 700 to $ 800. We are glad she is ok.

lisafarr211 said...

Wow, This is the first I'm hearing this! That is crazy - I'm glad she is okay and I personally think you did the right thing. Better safe than sorry. :)